Saturday, November 07, 2009

Scrooged in 3D

Shelby and I went to the IMAX theater to see Disney's A Christmas Carol in 3D. We took pictures in our awesome 3D glasses where Shelby declared me "Geek of the week" in mine. I'm certain that is not a good thing. I know that all of you are on the edge of your seats while reading this waiting on my review of the movie. For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook you have already gotten insight about the movie and my strong opinion of it. For those of you who haven't, here goes...

We all know that my family and I are huge Disney fans. I have been collecting Disney movies long before my children were even thought of. This movie was not your typical Disney movie. We've seen Mickey's portrayal of Marley in Mickey's Christmas Carol, as I'm sure you have. This movie is quite the opposite. It's a very dark and drab movie. Don't get me wrong, the special effects are out of this world!!! The snow fall seemed to be falling right on the tip of your nose as you looked through those very "geek of the weekish" 3D glasses. At one point I was cupping my hands in front of me as to catch the snow when I was informed by my 6 year old that the snow would melt as soon as it hit my hand, so there was no need. The movie begins with the death of Scrooge's business partner, Marley who later visits Scrooge as a ghost to inform him that he will be haunted by three ghosts. At one point, Marley's chin becomes unattached from his face leaving his mouth wide open. This was the time when Shelby informed me that she couldn't see (there was no one in front of her) and she needed to sit in my lap. I knew immediately that she was scared. After all, it creeped me out a bit. He was trying to hold his chin up with his hand so that he could talk, and it became a bit comical for a lot of adults in the audience but I heard several other children telling their mothers that they were scared.

Shortly after the visit from the first ghost, the next ghost who happened to be the ghost of Christmas' past came for his visit. This one was but a flame with a gown on who flew him around. This point in the movie contained some of the best 3D special effects when they flew over the town, but this ghost was a bit odd and sort of resembled the leprechaun from Lucky Charms. He only spoke in a whisper. He looked the most like Jim Carey than any other character in the movie (short of the young Ebeneezer) and he was just, well weird. There was a cool scene when Ebeneezer tried to extinguish him and it causes him to sail up into the air like a rocket on a candle snuffer. He flies up in front of the moon similar to the scene in E.T. The whole theater laughed at this one, myself included.

In the visit from the Ghost of Christmas Present, one of the scariest scenes occurred. But, let me start out by saying that the laugh was really over the top. He laughed throughout most of his screen time and it was incessantly annoying. More cool special effects were brought to life when the floor of the house disappeared as they traveled over the city which made for a pretty cool feel in those 3D glasses. It felt like you were actually in the house with the two characters. Of course at this point in the movie, Ebeneezer finds out that if he continues down the path that he's been leading it will lead to the demise of little Timmy, Cratchett's son. We begin to see ole Scrooge's heart warm during these scenes and the tone of the movie starts to take a turn upward, but not much! Once the Ghost of Christmas Present finishes his presentation to Scrooge, he begins to disappear (which is also a very gruesome and graphic scene). But, not before we see a hand sticking out from under his long coat. It is then that we are introduced to two characters who were a total scare factor. Shelby and I both were a bit skiddish at this point in the movie. I won't go into details too much as to ruin the effect for those of you who might want to see this one. But, suffice it to say that it's just creepy!!!

The ghost of Christmas Future is none other than the Grim Reaper himself. We never see his face, only a long robe and bony fingers. His presence is known when Ebeneezer sees two black horses with red eyes pulling a carriage. They begin as a shadow on the wall and emerge from the shadows to scare the crap out of you. Yes, I admit that I jumped! This ensues a chase scene that seemed to last forever. Once again, more awesome special effects and at one point, Scrooge shrinks down smaller than a mouse. He sees his own dead body and more sadness and dreary scenes take place. He is called an ass by his nephew and forsees the future of the Cratchett family. At this point he begs the final ghost to get him back to his bed and promises that he is a changed man.



In the end, of course he is changed and the movie ends on a happy note, with the famous, "God Bless us, Everyone" line by Timmy but it takes a lot of darkness and death to get there. It's just not a movie that I would take my kids to see. Parents, take heed the warning on the trailer that this movie "may not" be suitable for younger viewers. I will agree, this movie is NOT suitable for younger viewers! If had seen the movie prior to taking my 6 year old, we would have waited for the next bit 3D release, maybe Alice in Wonderland?

If you have seen it, let me know what you thought of it. If not, has this review helped you to decide?

3 comments, add yours here:

Anonymous said...

I had heard that it wasnt for the younger children,and for those of my friends who were planning on taking their young children,I told them as much.

It sounds like an awesome adult movie though!

Cheryl Wray said...

I enjoyed reading your review! My 13-year-old daughter saw it with a friend and enjoyed it, but I think it would be way too much for my 5 year old.

bich nga said...

wellcome to my blog