Thursday, February 05, 2009

Twenty years, really?!

I have been collecting Disney movies since I was a teenager. It became a passion, almost an obsession at one point to find movies that were in Disney's Vault (which means no longer available in stores). I would go to yard sales, flea markets, and pawn shops to find these precious gems. The bad thing about my collection is that it is VHS. The kids do not like to watch "the big tapes", they want to watch "the cds" because they can get to the movie faster and there's no rewinding (they didn't even know what that word meant!!!). I have been slowly replacing my collection with DVDs. I was thrilled when I learned that Oliver and Company has been released to DVD. It is the 20th anniversary edition!!! It has been twenty years since the now hunky Joey Lawrence voiced Oliver, the loveable stray kitten. Two decades have passed since Billy Joel voiced the street smart mutt with a weakness for mischief. I have graduated high school, married my sweetheart, and had three beautiful children since Bette Middler voiced the spoiled poodle, Georgette!

If you've not seen this one, you're missing out. Disney takes the timeless tale Oliver Twist to a level that only Disney can with a wonderful story, unforgettable characters, and an all star cast. The songs in this movie are wonderful, and after twenty years, I can still sing most of them word for word. With names like Billy Joel, Bette Midler, Huey Lewis and Barry Manilow you know that the music would have to be out of this world!
The DVD has lots of bonus features that my old VHS does not, including games and activities, the making of Oliver & Company, Puss CafĂ© – a delightful animated short starring Disney favorite Pluto and friends, the history of animals in Disney Films – a Disney animated featurette, and return of a classic – a look at the 1996 theatrical re-release of Oliver & Company.

I've still got my VHS, and it is still a collector's item in my opinion. It is put away with the remainder of my collection while the DVD copy is available for the viewing pleasure of my children. In fact, it's in the DVD player now, so I think I'll kick back and enjoy it with them.

9 comments, add yours here:

Mimi Lenox said...

I am not surprised they didn't know the meaning of rewind. They've grown up in the digital age.....

Tink *~*~* said...

I think you should tell them that they have to rewind "the CDs" after each use. That'll really throw them for a loop! :D

I have a pretty large collection of Disney DVDs too. I like the collections that come in a tin case - love me some Mickey Mouse In Black And White, and also Silly Symphonies.

What I really hate is when they do yet ANOTHER release of a film, such as a few months after releasing Pirates of the Carribbean, they suddenly "found" a "lost" scene and released it again. I hate that Disney played that game, it was quite beneath a company of their stature. Then of course, there's the Gold edition and the Platinum edition and pretty soon they will be introducing the Titanium edition and the Edition Made From A Substance Only Found On Mars..... sheesh!

Tink *~*~*

Anonymous said...

oh i also have those vhs tapes. when my daughter was younger, she'd love to watch them over and over again.

Tony said...

Hate to break it to you, but soon you'll be buying Blu-Ray instead. At least you won't need two separate players.

Mom et al said...

I have a box in the attic filled with Disney VHS tapes. When I was a teenager my parents started the collection. Then came DVD and I started to replace them. Now with our world turning to everything Blue Ray, it will be ages until I can get everything updated (especially those rare gems locked in the vault). Oh, I guess that will be just in time for the next technology upgrade.

Patois42 said...

When I saw the ad the other night for this out on DVD, I was shocked that it's been "only" 20 years.

Toni said...

That is great that you have the original too!

I have not seen this but loooove Oliver and have it on DVD so I think that this will have to be the next movie in "Hunter's" wink wink collection - won't be for me at all!

lol

Thanks for the post.

Heart of Rachel said...

I love Oliver too. It's nice that you were able to get a DVD copy of it.

Anonymous said...

hi your child looking funny