Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Movie Review

Igor is now available on DVD via Fox Home Entertainment. The overall message of this movie is a good one. Don't judge a book by it's cover, we all have an evil bone in our body, it's just whether or not we choose to use it that makes us evil, and most importantly, "I'd rather be a nice nobody than an evil somebody". Unfortunately, my children didn't stick around long enough to experience any of the above. They scattered very quickly after the movie started and left me to finish it alone. I'll have to admit that there were times that I just wanted to turn it off, but I was not going to quit. I just kept waiting for it to get better and unfortunately for me it just didn't.

After Igor's (voiced by John Cusak) "master", Doctor Glickenstein kills himself with a malfunctioning evil invention Igor decides to take matters into his own hands by creating his own invention for the Evil Scientists' Fair. Unfortunately for Igor, his invention who calls herself Eva (voiced by Molly Shannon) has an evil bone in her body but it cannot be activated because she is simply too nice. Igor decides to brain wash her and during this process his previous invention, "Brain" accidentally changes the television channel from violent acts to a documentary on the life of an actress thus dubbing the intended evil Eva an aspiring actress.

Of course there is another evil genius Doctor Schadenfreude. He steals the ideas of other scientists and intends on stealing Eva, activating her evil bone, and winning the Scientists Fair before overthrowing the current King Malbert. The King finds out that Igor's master is dead and sends him to the Igor Recycling bin leaving Eva in the hands of Schadenfreude. Igor's former inventions, an immortal rabbit named Scamper and a brain transplanted into a robot named Brain rescue Igor so that he can save Eva from the Evil Schadenfreude who has activated her evil bone.

I can't really put my finger on why I didn't like this movie, honestly. It seemed really slow for me at first. I had a hard time liking the character Igor. But, as the movie progressed I did sympathize with him a bit more. The jokes were not that funny. I felt like the movie's jokes were geared toward the parents and initially went way over most children's heads. As a parent, most of them just weren't that funny to me. Overall, I would have to give this movie a 2 out of 5 stars. Watch at your own risk. If you have watched, what did you think of it?

0 comments, add yours here: