Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Modesty is YOUR choice, not THEIRS!

I read an article today on CNN.com titled "Parents, don't dress your girls like tramps" by LZ Granderson. In the article the author explains how he sees a girl at the airport who has on a halter top and hip-hugger sweat pants with the word JUICY across the rear end. This sort of attire is inappropriate in a public place IMHO by anyone, but in this particular instance the stylish character was an eight year old girl! It was a very thought provoking article. I have an eight year old daughter and wardrobe is becoming more of an issue with us.

Modesty has always been top priority with us as we choose clothes for our children. Even more so now that they are getting older. We have to teach our children how to choose clothes that are appropriate for their age, size, etc. I see many adults wearing things that they shouldn't. You wonder if they borrowed a friends clothes that were two sizes smaller than them or perhaps they ate a few too many chocolate candies on Valentine's Day. Either way, we all should feel comfortable in our own skin, but it shouldn't involve making others look at it!!

When raising children, we are faced with many obstacles from what they eat, how they act, and what they wear. It's a constant battle - us against "the world". If you aren't teaching your child about modesty, then who is; Lady Gaga, Brittany Spears? The truth is, we as parents have to stand up and face the facts that if our children are out there wearing sweat pants with JUICY plastered across their rear end, it is our fault!! Those kids do not have jobs and certainly don't have driver's licenses, so their parents are allowing them to purchase such ridiculous attire!

We can point fingers all day long about what children see on television, movies, or window ads at the mall, but at the end of the day the other three fingers are pointing back at you if you're suckered into buying what they are marketing. At some point you have to take a stand and say enough is enough and I will not allow my children to be like the rest of the world. When my daughters are grown, they will be able to decide what not to wear. In the mean time, it is my job as their parent to teach them about modesty and how to respect their body and others around them.

A long time ago, I took a pledge with Jules from Moms for Modesty whose mission statement is as follows: Moms for Modesty Mission Statement

* As a Mom for Modesty I believe in common-sense modesty for girls and young women.
* I believe in refraining from sexualizing our girls and young women.
* I believe that it is unwise and unfair to taunt boys and young men by permitting my daughter(s) to dress in an immodest manner.
* I believe that true beauty comes from within and I strive to teach my daughter(s) this truth.
* I will loyally shop at retailers that provide girls' and young women's clothing that is modest, affordable and stylish.


    I proudly display this badge in my side bar and if you'd like to do the same you can grab it by clicking it and going directly to the website.

    5 comments, add yours here:

    Claire @ PR Mummy said...

    Very interesting article! I'm in total agreement. My parents refused to let me wear some of the things I'd wanted and I am quite grateful now. Why would any parent let their child dress in a way that attracts that kind of attention. While I believe that you're right that parents should prevent this, I do believe that some of the brands and celebrities out there should also be chastised for pushing this kind of culture on our kids.

    Crazy Working Mom said...

    Claire, thanks for your insight! I agree with you, I don't understand why parents want their child to look like mini-celebrities. It would be nice if enough people would band together and these brands and celebrities would be the ones in the minority!

    Desert Songbird said...

    When my daughter was very young, I always dressed her modestly. As she got older and started to choose her own clothes, I noticed that she chose modest clothing as well. As a teen now, she rarely wears makeup, usually wears jeans instead of shorts, and doesn't normally wear shirts that show off her curves. Yes, she likes to dress up sometimes, and she is very much a "girl," but most of the time, she just likes to be "normal" (as she says) and doesn't like to call attention to herself. She believes there is time enough to "flaunt her wares."

    Crazy Working Mom said...

    Yes, DS the choices we make for them now will no doubt impact them as they grow and eventually leave the nest. That is why this is such an important topic to address!

    CanTaxMom said...

    Here here! Every year since my 7-y-o daughter was BORN I've had to sort through piles of string bikinis to find a modest one-piece come summertime. It invariably feels like the twilight zone: why on EARTH would anyone put their sweet baby girl in such attire? Not to mention the leather boots with heels and bomber jackets: blech. It is entirely possible to be both stylish and modest, and I am teaching my sweet girl how to do so without fail. Thanks for posting - glad to hear there are like-minded moms out there :-)