Monday, May 18, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I would assume that by now I was probably one of the only people left in the US that had not seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett.  I finally found time to fit it into my schedule last weekend to watch.  I knew it was a long one (a run time of 165 minutes) so it would be hard for me to be able to sit down that long and watch it straight through without being disrupted by at least one of the three children, the dog or the husband.  Thankfully I watched it while the dog and the youngest napped, and  the older two and hubby went shopping.

I must say that the make up artists in this movie deserve major kudos for their sensational job with the aging of Brad Pitt's character in this movie.  For those of you living under a rock and don't know the premises of this movie, Pitt was born with a rare genetic disorder where he ages backward.  He is actually born with the body of an old man and as he ages in years, his body is getting younger.  The movie is the tale of his life.  It is a wild tale and Brad Pitt was the perfect pick for this movie.  Although I do not care much for the things he does on his own time, his acting is superb.  I think that this movie was a bit too long and drawn out, for my taste.  I never could have sat in a theater and watched it in it's entirety, but in the comforts of my own home, it was alright.  I was more overwhelmed with the make up in this movie than the actual story line or the characters.  For me it was, just okay.  It was nothing spectacular.  Yeah, I know it won Three Academy Awards, but it just seemed to lack something for me.  I can't really put my finger on it.  I was unimpressed with the ending as well.  If you've not watched it, then you won't know why, but I just felt that it was a bit too unrealistic for me.

Would I recommend you watch it?  That's a hard one for me.  Usually I'm pretty cut and dry with movies.  But, with this one I am up in the air.  I didn't DISlike it, but I wouldn't say that I loved it either.  So, I hate to say it, but I think I'm just on the fence with this one.  If you've got an 2.75 hours to spare and you want to give it a look (if you haven't already) go ahead.  But, if you're like me it's hard to part with that kind of time.

What did you think?  If you've seen it already how did you feel about it?  Did you watch it at home or on the big screen?  Feel free to leave me your thoughts on this one...grab you some popcorn on the way in.

4 comments, add yours here:

Callie Ann said...

well I loved the movie. I must say you have to see it in the theater with no distractions and open your mind. I loved the old things in the movie..I bought the movie last weekend.. :) I Can't find any popcorn.. dang someone else must have snagged it all.

Travis Cody said...

Haven't seen it and not all that interested.

Not So Anonymous Michelle said...

I'm another one who has not yet seen it but would like to. I've heard mixed reviews.

katherine. said...

I saw it...and while I appreciate the movie and the story...it made me sad. It was sad for every character in the movie.