Thursday, March 26, 2009

To the parents of the fidgety kid...

Dear uncaring parent (or caregiver),

When I took my kids to the movies today, thank goodness we were watching a movie we already owned on DVD. Yes, I know this sounds ridiculous. In a way it is. But, the kids wanted something fun to do this afternoon instead of cleaning out self storage, so we went to the Dollar movies. It cost us a buck fifty to watch Bolt on the big screen.

What we didn't bargain for was you and your monster sitting behind us. Don't get me wrong, I know my kids aren't perfect...far from it in fact. When I am watching a children's movie at a theater full of children there is a bit of chaos to be expected. I cannot complain when I make it through a movie without my feet sticking to the floor from a spilled drink, or a lap full of popcorn. What does make me angry is when a child is doing something wrong and never gets corrected. My children and I were sitting one row in front of your previously mentioned monster(s). If they kicked my seat once, they kicked it five hundred times. I sat there for a long time thinking that the adult in the company of this minor would take some responsibility and correct the child from doing this. Apparently, you don't mind it when people kick your seat because you didn't mind that the child was kicking ours. I never said anything to you or your child, although I reeeeeeeeeally wanted to. I did, however turn around on two separate occasions and look at you both thinking that you would take a hint.

Since that didn't seem to work, I am writing you this letter. Maybe some day you'll stumble across this blog and remember that you took your children to see a movie and you didn't reprimand them when they kept kicking the seat of the wonderfully patient lady in front of them. My only wish is that next time you are enjoying a mouth full of popcorn you get kicked square in the back. Then, you might enjoy your movie as much as I enjoyed mine!

Sincerely,
The EXTREMELY NICE lady at the movie theater in front of you today!

7 comments, add yours here:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've been there. Well said, too bad the mom won't get it

Anonymous said...

Oy, you are extremely patient!

Kim said...

Been there. Done that. It was so bad one time that I got up and moved over a few seats on the same row, as they were open, and then they said, "Oh, we're sorry about that". But they still let their child go on and on and on.

Lovely letter!

Desert Songbird said...

Nothing annoys me more at the movies than to have obnoxious kids accompanied by clueless adults. You were more patient than I would have been.

Akelamalu said...

How on earth did you keep your counsel?

PS I'm getting there with my scroll box, thanks hon. xxxx

Travis Cody said...

You have more patience that I do. I have turned around and politely asked people to stop talking or kids to stop kicking my chair. And I'll do it again.

And if the behavior continues, I'll get the manager. Movies are just too expensive these days to have your time and money wasted by inconsiderate people.

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

You are definitely more patient than I am. I'd have probably turned around a third time and said something either to the parent or directly to the child (depending on thier age). Parents like this then wonder later why their teens are so inconsiderate, insensitive and selfish...