Monday, May 02, 2011

My thoughts on the death of Osama Bin Laden

PhotobucketWell, of course the big news today is the death of Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.  I was awake last night when they broke programming to announce that the president had a big announcement. The prez didn't tell us anything the media outlets hadn't been feeding us for an hour before they finally tweaked his speech.  Shortly thereafter crowds had gathered on the White House lawn to cheer and revel in a "victory" for the United States in ending the reign of terror sparked by Bin Laden. 





I may get backlash from this, but I just don't feel right in cheering about any man's death.  Yes, I know he was evil, and yes many Americans died at the hands of this man, but I don't think that it justifies celebration in his death.  Proverbs 24:17 says "Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice" I did not lose family in the 9/11 attacks.  I do remember the horror of that day.  I know that this might bring some closure to those families and I do not wish to take away that closure.  My hopes are that this death and celebration does not bring another hail storm of violence from Al Qaeda in retaliation.  Just because we've killed their leader doesn't mean there isn't someone else who will step up and continue their efforts of hate and vengeance against The United States of America.

God bless America and have mercy on us, and to God be all the honor and glory!!!

This is just my two cents.  What's your thoughts on the subject?  

5 comments, add yours here:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

tish i was horrified at the crowds cheering the death of anyone. i thought it put us on their level when they were cheering in the streets when the buildings went down. i'd like to think we, as a civilization, are better than that but i guess for some, we are not.

hugs, bee
xoxoxooxox

Crazy Working Mom said...

I felt the same way, Ms Bee!! At that moment, I was NOT proud of the actions of my fellow Americans. You know they were streaming this in those countries who already despise us...this will only make matters worse!! :(

Blessed Mom said...

I feel the same way. I have mixed emotions on the subject. I can see how the families that lost loved ones would feel on the subject. Just reading some of the posts from people on Facebook are disturbing, though. It is not our place to judge him. It is God's job, not ours. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I hope the reactions do not make matters worse.

Amazing Gracie said...

I will admit I was thrilled to hear this man is dead. Cheering a death may be wrong, but I was cheering. I believe that God allowed this man to die as he still rules the universe. But I too, saw the street rallies with mixed emotions. I also believe that we must be diligent as a backlash is sure to happen. But we couldn't allow this evil, evil man to walk the earth. I equate him with Hitler, and God allowed him to die before he could inflict any more harm.
I appreciate your sweet spirit, Tish.
~~~Love and Blessings~~~

Travis Cody said...

I'm relieved, and I'm pleased that the original mission that took our military to Afghanistan is now complete. But I agree that jubilation is not an appropriate response here.