Monday, February 14, 2011

Tyler's First Spelling Test

My kindergarten son had his very first spelling test today.  He worked hard last week to learn the words.  Tyler and working hard aren't words that flow together freely.  It takes LOTS of effort to get that boy motivated!  He would much rather be playing outside riding his bicycle or inside his room with his matchbox cars and monster trucks than doing homework.

In fact, we've been doing sight words for a couple of weeks now.  He has to recognize the colors and numbers (zero to ten).  I understand sometimes it takes kids a bit longer to catch on.  Tyler struggles with the color black.  For most kids this wouldn't be a problem, but for Tyler since it is his last name, I feel like it's something he should already know!!!  So, I've been really drilling him on this one...and he STILL struggles with it.

Last night when we had our practice test, he made a 100.  This was with no help from me.  So, I said a prayer for him today that he'd pull through and not cave under pressure.  This is what he brought home:  

Photobucket
Yes, he made a 100 on his very first spelling test. I am so proud of him. He is a smart boy, we just struggle to keep him interested in his school work. His favorite part of school is lunch, recess, and PE. In fact, I quit telling him when he had library because it put him in a bad mood before he even went to school!

I am so grateful that he has a wonderful teacher. I don't know how she does it, but she does and she does it well! Thanks, Ms Amy for all you do to keep Tyler on track.

Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments, add yours here:

Elena said...

You have a smart boy! You should be proud!

Becca said...

Woohoooooo!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Tyler!

And you spelled Zero. that's a very hard word... Yay for you!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh thats so sweet :D