Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fundraising

***Warning: Rant Ahead!***

I was at a place today where the manager's daughter is in a ball tournament. She had a glass jar with a newspaper article taped to the outside showing that her daughter made some sort of softball tournament. The glass jar was for donations for them to take her to this tournament. I did not leave a donation. I feel like if you sign your child(ren) up for sports or the likes then you should be prepared for all of the costs. I do understand that they can be very expensive, with shoes, gloves, hats, etc. BUT, it should not be MY responsibility to send your kid to play in a tournament that in ten years it won't matter if they won or not. I did not sign them up. Now, I think it's a bit different when the kids are out doing something to collect money, NOT standing outside of Wal-Mart with their ball caps in their hands asking you for your hard earned money, but offering up baked goods, lemonade, car washes, etc. in return for a "donation". I am very likely to pay A LOT of money for some good home made chocolate chip cookies! This in my humble opinion is a great way to show your kids that they can EARN money, instead of getting it by just holding out their hands. This is my opinion. How do YOU feel?

17 comments, add yours here:

Kara said...

I totally agree!

Schmoop said...

I agree as well AND if a child is trying to raise money THEY need to do the asking, not one of their parents taking some form to work with them. You have struck quite a pet nerve of mine. Cheers!!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i agree completely. in florida the kids stand in the middle of huge highways on those cement dividers with milk jugs like little beggars. band uniforms, etc. i never believe them. i think it's a scam and their parents should keep them the hell out of the road.

in podunk they sell donuts in the square (which is a circle btw, figure that one out!) and tie up traffic. at least they are selling something but i still get annoyed.

(stepping down off soap box)

smiles, bee

Linda said...

I second that emotion most definitely!

Callie Ann said...

Hey girl, This comment has nothing to do with your story but I am listening to you talk to mo right now. You sound wonderful. I love the look of your blog. I haven't got to tell you that. I am at work right now listening to the Mo show. Love ya girl!!!!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I totally agree!!! I HATE fundraisers!

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

I absolutely totally agree! Both of my kids have played organized sports. Not once did we ever do something like this. We knew what was involved.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm so very sorry for making you cry. That was not my intention. I think I did rather well myself on NOT crying. However, I did after I got off the phone.

I really like it here so guess what... in the words of Arnold ... "I'll be back"

Unknown said...

I totally agree, too.
It will be our responsibility to pay for Luis activities when he´ll be old enough to sign up for some, as well as for his education (very expensive in Germany). I would rather get a third job (Pimp your bike, bathroom, hair-do, doggie, whatever *LOL*) than begging for money. I don´t like to be "forced" to a donation anyway, but I wouldn´t say "No" to home made cookies, either, if sold. ;)
This cookie-selling will not happen in Germany - you need a permit from the local health authority to be allowed to sell any homemade products on the street. Only beggars round here...

Rebecca said...

Yes...if you can't pay don't sign them up. It's really pretty simple.

Mz Jackson said...

I'm with you girl! Love your new design by the way, I've been gone a little while and hadn't seen it yet!

Anonymous said...

I agree. Seems everyone hates it.

Selling something is okay. Even the Lions Club gives you a sticker for donating.

p.s. I just added you to my first blog roll.

Akelamalu said...

Hear Hear

Twisted Cinderella said...

I agree! At least by selling something your kids learn.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I agree with everything you said.

I will buy cookies from kids even if I am grossed out I don't know who made them or the cleanliness of the house they where cooked in just to support the kids doing something. Same if I see a lemonade or kool aid stand. I will usually stop the van and give a little more than the asking price for a cup. I don't however like to give for nothing. I like seeing the kids being creative and trying.

Kim said...

Amen sister! :) I have a son in sports and we fully intend to pay for everything involved. The kids learn more by having to earn the money they are raising.

Travis Cody said...

I will buy Girl Scout cookies and I will drive into the parking lot and have kids wash my car.

I will even put my $1 in the box on my co-worker's desk to purchase a candy bar that their child is supposed to be selling.

But I agree with you on your rant - this seems to be going too far.

Neila said...

Oh good Lord, that is ridiculous! I am too busy paying for my own children's activities. Yet, I spend a small fortune each year in Girl Scout cookies. It's all about the marketing!

But now, I'm wonder if I could get people to "donate" to pay my Visa bill. Hmmmmm . . . :-)