Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Gold Stars

I have started something new with my 4 year old. I went shopping and got some gold star stickers and a chart that we've added a few things to such as using your manners (yes ma'am & sir), eating all of your dinner, brushing your teeth, picking up your toys etc. This is our second day and I must say I was hesitant at first, but so far so good. She actually went and cleaned up her room before bed b/c I told her we were going to figure out what she did to get gold stars and she said I had to wait! She also ate everything on her plate both nights and has not complained a bit about brushing her teeth!I've seen this before on Nanny 911 & Supernanny, etc. I thought it might be worth a try. I'm working on getting her to say yes ma'am and sir. It's very important to me for my children to learn to use their manners. I need to figure out what and how to reward her at the end of the week. Any suggestions?

11 comments, add yours here:

Becky L said...

i've sorta been potty training my [almost] 2 yr old. mostly she just likes sitting on it for fun. i was thinking of doing some sort of sticker thing. Maybe i'll try it..

Claire said...

The British know how to get kids sorted!lol!
I say give her a choice of 3 things, like the zoo, the movies or something crafty.
Both my nephews love the sticker system and most schools use the system too over here.

Abigail S said...

I agree w/ Claire.. Let her choose... It'll mean more to her!

It's great that you're teaching your daughter manners. I teach Kindergarten, and it's horrible to see all these kids who disrespect authority, even their parents!

Good job!

Dayngr said...

Find out what it is she likes to do best. If she likes to watch movies with you then a certain amount of stars could equal a movie night or 15 extra minutes of playtime etc.

Travis Cody said...

I don't have any suggestions for you on rewards. But can I have a gold start for remember to comment?

Heehee!

Heart of Rachel said...

That's a wonderful idea. I think the gold star stickers concept is a great way to motivate your child.

I praise my child with words like 'Well Done', 'Great Job', 'Nicely Done' whenever he does something good. In school, the teacher gives him a stamp for after class to make him feel that he does done well in class. I think little things like stamps and stickers are great motivating factors.

Barb said...

I used to do gold stars for my kids and it worked great! And I love the Nanny shows :)

I'm going to disagree about letting her choose. Would Nanny do that? I think it should be things that are important to you for her to accomplish according to her age and maturity.

el-e-e said...

I want to do this for my 2.5yr-old boy. I've got a friend who has a "prize box" in her closet. It has little prizes (a sheet of stickers) up to big prizes (...um, bigger toys), and depending on how many Stars they got, they can pick one thing. It'd be fun to shop for the prizes, too! Dollar store, here I come!

(found your T13 but saw this and had to comment!)

Foofa said...

As a former kid who grew up with star charts I have to say they are wonderful. I think my rewards had something to do with how many stars I got during the week. I remember sitting down with Mommy at the beginning of the week and talking about some things that would be good to do/have and then Mom assigned point values to them. They ranged from toys to outings to her making my favorite meals. I think I could also save up stars to get something really cool. I liked having some input but since mom assigned values I had to work up to her standards to get what I really wanted.

Miss Awesome said...

good luck with this. I've never had enough focus to keep going more than a couple of days with reward charts. Besides, discipline works better than rewards in our house. Just kidding, it doesn't. But it's more used unfortunately. I mean... Just kidding again. I praise my child constantly and never discipline him!

God I'm good at being politically correct.

Becca said...

What did you decide on?