Thursday, November 05, 2009

Chocolates and Concussions

It's been a pretty easy week for us. The weather has been beautiful. It's so nice to not have rain in the forecast. It's been unseasonably warm so the kiddos have spent the afternoons in the yard raking the leaves up high and jumping inside. It's been nice that hubby and I could take time away from our netbooks and enjoy some time with the kiddos. Of course we still have mounds of Halloween candy from last weekend's trick-or-treating take, as evident on little Emily's face:



Today, I was in the laundry room which has two steps down from the house. Usually Emily will come to the door and I will help her down. She had been playing with the other two kids and must have heard me open the door so she came to the door and about the time I saw her and began to walk her way, I saw her tumble out the doorway, down the brick steps and on to the concrete floor!!! Oh, I was terrified. She began to scream and I scooped her up into my arms and ran inside with her checking her for blood. All of her teeth were in tact. She didn't have any bones sticking out, and her head still looked symmetrical. I was still worried sick thinking that she might have some sort of concussion or hidden fracture. She didn't cry much, but you can definitely tell that she got into a fight with the concrete and the concrete won. She posed for me so that I could get this shot:

I am so glad that we did family pictures LAST weekend. My poor little baby girl...she is fine I suppose. She was back up and playing within minutes of her injury. Of course I feel horrible about it. I wonder if the eye will end up black. I hope not.

6 comments, add yours here:

Linda said...

Oh no, poor little Emily; at least you got her to smile for the picture afterward! I'm afraid that this will be just one in a series of falls for the little gal, though - toddlers are known for falling after all!

Dena said...

Glad to hear she's ok. Love that adorable toothy smile. :)

LAC said...

Yikes, that would have scared the beejeasus out of me, too! So glad she's ok.

Akelamalu said...

OH poor little Emily! It is terrifying when things like that happen to you children, though they are much tougher than we think and seem to ((bounce)) don't they?

That's some bruising she's got there.

Sanni said...

Oh no! Poor little Emily and mommy...
I'm so glad to hear she's okay - and I bet you were still shaky when she was already playing again, no?

(((HUGS)))

Petula said...

Oh poor little sweetie. I'm glad she's okay and I hope she doesn't get a black eye.