Friday, November 07, 2008

Wardrobe Crisis in Kindergarten

Oh, Good Grief...I have my work cut out for me and that is certain!

This morning Shelby had a major melt down about what I chose for her to wear to school. I could not believe what I was seeing. When I put the pants on her she began to cry because she did not want to wear this outfit. I asked her why and she said that she just didn't want to wear it. She stormed off to her room to get the outfit that she wanted to wear. She emerged from her room with a pair of shorts and a tee shirt. I gently reminded her that it was October and that the temperature outside at the moment was 48°. This meant nothing to her because it was nice and warm inside the house while were having this argument discussion. I took the shorts and shirt and placed them on the back of the couch and continued to dress her. At this time she began a full on tantrum screaming and crying hysterically. I could feel my patience slowly but surely slipping away as my heart began to race. We got up and went to the bathroom to fix her hair and she continued to throw a fit. I asked her again what was wrong with this outfit, it's very cute and she's worn it before and there were no complaints. She finally told me that she didn't want to wear it because there was another girl who has the same outfit that wears it all of the time. What?! She's in Kindergarten and she's already worried about wearing something that another girl is wearing?! You have got to be kidding me! This is a joke, right? My response to this was quick and to the point, "You and another girl have the same jacket." She then proceeds to tell me that it was okay because A.) Said girl was her friend and B.) Said girl was in her class.

After much consideration, I tried to put myself in her shoes or shall I say, her pants. I remembered all through school there was "that" girl that nobody liked. She was either mean, geeky, or smelled. You remember "that" girl, right?! Well, what if "that" girl wore an outfit that your mother happened to have bought for you, or worse...what if you wore it on the same day?!

I gave in and let her wear the shirt, shorts, AND flip flops. She topped it off with a jacket. Yup, the jacket that was JUST like "her friend in her class". We have decided that we will choose her clothes the night before school and both agree that I will choose two outfits and she can pick between the two and the flip flops will be put away until next summer.

17 comments, add yours here:

Linda said...

Oh dear ... you do realize just how much trouble you're in for in later years, right??

Good luck! You are going to need it!

Sandee said...

Oh my. I raised a boy and just didn't have this problem. I can so relate though. Good luck honey. You were right to let her have her way. She only gets to go through school once. Make it as pleasant as possible.

Have a great day. Big hug and lotsa lovies. :)

Sandra Carvalho said...

Girls!...Aren't we cute or what!!!
That's the good thing about boys!They do not complaint about their mommy chosen outfits!Bwahahahahah
Well...So far so good!...I don't know what the future holds for me! ;)
xoxo

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i am so proud that you let her know that her feelings are genuine. that is all it took. she wasn't being a brat, she has true feelings and was voicing them in a way she knew how, thanks tish. i think you are a wonderful mom!!!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxooxxo

Anonymous said...

Bee, it was hard for me to see it that way at first...when you're in a hurry to get three kids and yourself ready in the wee hours of the a.m. it's hard to think rationally. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I have to let her express those feelings and I have to understand them as well. Sometimes I don't want to wear certain things either. Thanks for understanding! I ♥ you for that.

Crazy Working Mom said...

Linda and Sandra. I have a boy also. I have to trade in different problems with him. So, there's always problems...just usually different ones. He does complain about what he wears from time to time as well, though!

Crazy Working Mom said...

Sandy, as always...THANK YOU!!
Big Hugs and Lotsa lovies right back atcha.

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Oh goodness. Good for you though, thinking it through from her perspective.

Toni said...

Wow! I do not envy you this. However, glad you looked at it from her perspective, a lot of parents don't...

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say Hello. I've read your blog almost every night for the past 8 months. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter!

I have a 6 year old daughter, and we have had the same problem with clothes for some time. Comfort is an issue, pant leg length, color and how the outfit might be perceived (babyish, worn too frequently etc.). When it first started happening, I couldn't believe it!

We've had some quarrels! In the end, the best decision for us was the one you made too. To hash out the outfit discussion the night before.

She knows what's going on in her life Mom! It's great that you were listening.

By the way- love your blog. :0)

Dina

Crazy Working Mom said...

Thank you, Dina! I am so glad that you are enjoying my blog. If you're a blogger, do leave me a link to you. :)
Please continue to delurk!!!

Twisted Cinderella said...

I am so impressed that you took a step back and rethought the whole situation. That goes to show what an awesome mom you are.

Desert Songbird said...

I can't tell you the number of times my SON has argued with me about whether or not to wear shorts and sandals to school in the winter. And this is my kid who complains A LOT about being cold. Whatever. I tell him to wear a jacket, and not to complain about being cold. Usually, by the second day, he's wearing his sneakers and jeans.

Becca said...

Good job on coming up with a solution that worked for you both!!

Deb said...

Ooh, this sounds very familiar... Hannah insists that I pick out her clothes every morning because she "can't" (usually involves a lot of drama). Then when I pick out a perfectly nice outfit, she goes back and switches it out for what she really wants to wear anyway. Sigh.

I do insist that her clothes at least match and are weather-appropriate though. :)

Crazy Working Mom said...

Hey anonymous, your comment has been removed due to your vulgar language and the fact that you are a complete and total jerk!

Thank you!

Crazy Working Mom said...

Anonymous,

Yup, deleted yet again! If you want to link to your blog instead of being "anonymous", I'd gladly critique yours since apparently mine is so useless. If you would like to leave a sensible comment without vulgarity it'll stay here. But, I'm washin' your mouth out with soap as I delete your horrible, profanity.

Have a nice day!