Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Dinner with Monkeys

There must have been something in the air tonight that made my kids act like monkeys. They completely forgot their manners at the dinner table and I lost my patience with them by the end of the meal. There were MANY threats that they would go straight to bed after dinner. All too often my threats are empty and neither child is not at all affected by them. Tonight I was bound and determined that I would follow through. At one point, they were laughing at me when I had scolded them. I laughed back saying that in a few minutes I would be the one laughing because they would be in bed screaming and I'd be watching television.

After a bath with no toys (gasp!) or playtime they were each sent to their room. I dressed Tyler first and laid him down. Shelby was next. Tyler screamed his head off as I dressed her. I think that she thought that maybe I was just calling their bluff and that I would make them lay down for a while and then let them up. But, I did not! Tyler was forced to cry himself to sleep but not before I explained to him why he was in bed. Tomorrow, I explained to him he would have the chance to be a good boy while we had dinner and sit on his bottom, not throw food or scream at me when I tell him to quit playing and eat. He assured me that he was done being a bad boy tonight and that he would get up and be good. I reminded him that it was too late tonight and that he had to go to sleep tonight. He could not get another chance tonight, but tomorrow would be a brand new day and he would have the chance tomorrow to act like a good boy. Shelby whined a bit and finally went off to sleep without too much hesitation. I had the same conversation with her. She informed me that she loved me and just wanted me to rock her. I did not give in. Within twenty minutes there was complete silence from each room.

My fingers are crossed that tomorrow they will both remember the tough lesson that I hope they learned tonight.

15 comments, add yours here:

Kara said...

My kids were insane today too :P I hope your kids are better behaved tomorrow :)

Kara said...

Haha, just saw you commented on my post, same thing :D

Deb said...

Ugh - it's so hard to follow through on those kinds of threats sometimes. Kudos to you for doing so - and I hope that the lesson sinks in. :)

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Good for you for following thru! I bet they did learn their lesson and they'll be really, really good tomorrow!

Unknown said...

sometimes they do, but usually they don't, just remember when they act up again be strict and firm. I sure everyone is getting antsy there.
Sewing this weekend darling. I promise a batch of burpies to arrive hopefully before little lady does. And then you can tell me if you'll need more.

Mo and The Purries said...

Good for you!
I think if there was some laughing at me while disciplining them, there would have been some rosy cheeks (if you know what I mean) - you're a better parent than I would ever be!

Tina said...

good for you tisha. its good to follow thru theats otherwise they will just play you up forver ;)

Unknown said...

Great follow through! I think that has been one of my biggest problems...I'm terrible at the follow through! I've been working on that A LOT!

Sandee said...

Good for you honey. Now they know mama means business. Being a parent is lots of work. You do it so well too. Have a great day. Big hug and lotsa lovies. :)

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

Those are truly the toughest moments. You did the right thing, though.

Desert Songbird said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns. The kids really "get it" when we have the courage to do that. It will pay off.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you are such a good mommie honey! you did something very hard to do and it is for their own learning good and i am very proud of you...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Sandra Carvalho said...

Well done girl!I know what u mean.Sometimes mine just drive me crazy and I hate to repeat my self!
It's tough but sometimes it's needed.
Tomorrow they'll grow up knowing that what momma says is what it goes!...
Take care.
xoxo

Linda said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns and laying down the law. I sure hope that they had a lesson learned and were better for you today.

You are going to have your hands full with a new baby soon; these two little monkeys need to be helpers and not swinging from the bars all the time!

Travis Cody said...

Well done! Good for you!