Wednesday, July 04, 2007

July 4, 1776

Interesting Facts About America
That YOU Might Not Know:

*On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament Building is an American flag.

*On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper right-hand corner.

*One in every 4 Americans has appeared on television.

*In Los Angeles, there are fewer people than there are automobiles.

*The United States Government keeps its supply of silver at the United States Military Academy, West Point, New York.
The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

*52% of Americans drink coffee.

*27% of Americans believe we never landed on the moon.

*A Californian doctor has set the record of eating 17 bananas in two minutes.

*Approximately 35 million Americans are linked by blood to one (or more) of the 102 pilgrims who came to America on the Mayflower in 1620.

*There are five US states with no sales tax. They are: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.

*Alaska is the state with the highest percentage of people who walk to work.

*It was once illegal to take a bath in the wintertime in Indiana.

*Ohio is the birthplace of more Presidents than any other state - eight.

13 comments, add yours here:

Akelamalu said...

1 in 4 Americans have appeared on TV? Crikey that a lot!

Thanks for the facts - I didn't know any of them. :)

Special K ~Toni said...

One in every 4 Americans has appeared on television~ are they talking about Cops and America's Most Wanted? haha!

Have a great Fourth!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

American flag on the Canadian $2 bill? That must be why we now have a $2 coin - the toonie - with a polar bear on it.

I think they better deploy some mules in a hurry! Now recruiting - Operation Iraqi Mule War-Winning Strategy.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

send in the mules!

smiles, bee

Tawnya Shields said...

Those were all very interesting. I am not from the original colonist. Our family migrated from Germany in the late 1800'

1 in 4 have been on televison? Geesh I wish I could get my 15 minutes of fame or is that shame? :o)~

Have a great day!

Travis Cody said...

35 million linked to 102? That's either something to be proud of, being descended from original settlers, or something to be very afraid of!

Linda said...

I'm with Bee - send in the mules!

These were some great facts - some I knew and some I didn't but I love learning new facts all the time!

TorAa said...

Very interesting facts.

Did you by the way knew that in some states the most people have Norwegian heritage?

And the Queen of Norway on July 4 was 70?

PS.I thought Nevada also did not have sales tax??

Mike Minzes said...

America Rocks!!!!!!!!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

So if we send a bunch of jackasses to Iraq then we'll win? Let's do it! I know some jackasses I'd like to send!

Unknown said...

Are you one out of 4? Is the show available on YouTube???

;)

Amazing Gracie said...

I love factoids! They're always so interesting. I'm in the percentage that drinks coffee - I'm surprised it's not higher than that! I've been on TV - I qualify for membership in the DAR and I DO believe we landed on the moon!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great 4th! Take care!