Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Update - Call Me Bionic Woman!

Since I haven't posted here since December, 
I thought I would post a generalized update on the CrAzy Working Mom Family.  

We had a wonderful Christmas filled with lots of love and family time.  On Christmas night, we had an enormous ice storm that filled the state with lots of beautiful snow and treacherous ice!  The kids enjoyed it.  We played in it all day the next day.  Unfortunately, we lost a few tree limbs and were without power for an entire day.  Thankfully we have a fire place and had just enough wood stored up that we were able to keep warm by the fireside until power was restored.

My best friend celebrated her birthday eve with a SURPRISE party!  We had a wonderful time in her presence with a taco bar fiesta and fun fellowship.  It was so good to get to spend some quality time with her!  Although I am not entirely sure she was "surprised", there was lots of planning and preparation that went into her celebration and I know that she was very thankful and enjoyed every minute of it!
Tisha & Becca 2012
On Saturday, December 29, 2012 I was preparing to go visit my best friend, Becca for lunch and my husband was going to unstop her plumbing while we were there I headed outside and unbeknownst to be, there was still ice on my front porch steps.  I took a very terrible fall down my steps and ended up with a dislocated ankle and two broken bones.  Instead of enjoying lunch with my bestie on her birthday, I ended up in the E.R!!!

I yelled for my husband to come outside and he rushed to my side...literally!!  He fell down the stairs on top of me.  Thankfully he was not hurt, but quickly agreed with me that I was when he saw that the bone that my foot should be sitting on was not about to pop out of my skin!  It was a very traumatic experience for me, and my very first bone break.  When I do something, I go all out.

He and my father-in-law loaded me up and took me to the Emergency Room where a very friendly staff of doctors and nurses treated me for the fracture.  I was given Propofol, which may sound familiar to you as a reader because it's what killed Michael Jackson!  I was told that I would still be awake, but I would be "under" for 7 minutes.  I had to sign a release form "just in case" I didn't wake up.  My family was very concerned and scared.  I just wanted my foot to be put back on my leg and to be able to go home!

My New and Improved Ankle
So, the procedure was completed and I was awake the entire time watching a total of 9 doctors, nurses, and staff treat the fracture and watch my vitals.  It was a very humbling experience.  Upon completion of this procedure, my doctor informed me that they were waiting to hear back from the surgeon!!  Yes, I said surgeon.

Since I had eaten breakfast, I had to wait a few hours until they could safely do the surgery.  Once they had the green light, I was taken back and given anesthesia yet again to complete the surgery.  This time I became the (not so proud) owner of a steel plate and 8 screws which have taken up permanent residence in my right ankle.

I was informed that I was not allowed to bear ANY weight on this ankle for at least 4 weeks.  Yes, this busy mother of three was going to be "benched" for 4 weeks!  Being as it was my right foot, I was unable to drive for even longer than that!  Fortunately, my sister and her husband stepped in and they allowed us to stay with them and were a tremendous help to Brien by picking up and dropping off the kids at school and helping with my immediate needs.  It was a very difficult time for me.  As a mother of three and small business owner, I have never had much reason to depend on others.  Brien and I have tried very hard to be able to support our family and to take care of each other without the help of others.  So, it was a very humbling experience to say the least.  I am so grateful for the many people who helped out.  We had dinners cooked for us for an entire two weeks solid!  There were so many text messages, facebook messages, prayers, visits, and the likes that I could never thank everyone.  But, for those of you who visited, called, and texted...THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.  I could have never made it without you all. 

We are now gearing up for another season of baseball.  It's been practice 2 - 3 times a week and pretty soon we'll switch from practice to games.  But, we love it.  Tyler loves it and we enjoy cheering him on.  I am looking forward to spending the summer with my kiddos.  I am still recovering.  I am no longer confined to the walking boot.  I do wear it on occasion when the pain is unbearable.  I still suffer from discoloration and tenderness where the scars are located, but all in all, I am healing and it's all part of the process.

I am still an Independent Scentsy Consultant if you're interested in purchasing online or if you live local and want to place an order give me a shout.  My website:  https://tishblack.scentsy.us.  I also sell Grace Adele Fashion and Velata Chocolate Fondue (all three Scentsy Family brands).

2 comments, add yours here:

Akelamalu said...

What a traumatic time for you all. So happy to hear you're recovering. xx

Crazy Working Mom said...

Aww, thanks Akelamalu!