Saturday, January 24, 2009

RSV, MIL, & S.L.E.E.P!!!

Sleep came last night in the form of my Mother-in-law!  She is my savior, add it to the Christian books that she is the greatest woman alive. I will owe her my deepest gratitude for the remainder of my years.  She has spent the last two days at my house watching Emily during the day while I went to the office and ran some errands I needed to take care of.  Last night, she spent the night on my couch taking care of baby girl while I got reacquainted with the back of my eye lids.

We had to take Emily back to the doctor yesterday.  He said that her cough and wheezing was definitely worse, but that it was to be expected.  He did change her inhailer to one with less of the "jittery" side effects the other one seemed to have on her. He also ordered a breathing treatment.  I was the lucky one to hold her down and keep the mast on her face while this occured.  She was so angry and upset about it that her whole body was as stiff as a board and she turned purple from screaming so much.  After what must have only been minutes, but seemed like hours he said that it helped and she was wheezing a bit less.  He said that she still had about 5 more days before she would be close to well but that it could take weeks for her to be completely over it. 

I broke down.  It's been such a long week, I've had no sleep, my temper was short with Brien yesterday morning and I felt horrible all day about it.  He could see it in my eyes before I ever began to cry.  He asked me if I was okay.  That opened the flood gates.  I was NOT okay.  He told me that I would be fine and Emily would be fine and that I was doing a great job.  He comforted me and that made me feel good.  Our pediatrician is a wonderful man and I am so glad that he's been a part of our lives from the first minutes of Shelby's life until now.  He told me everything to expect and said that unfortunately, Emily's chances of developing asthma are very great now, especially if we have a history of it my family.  My mother uses the same breathing machine that Emily used yesterday and my brother also has asthmatic tendancies.  He had breathing problems at birth being that he was the smallest twin.  So, unfortunately our road might just be begining with this one.  He said for the next 12 months we will just watch her closely.  For now, the main concern is getting her back to normal where she and I both can sleep in a horizontal position.

16 comments, add yours here:

Sandra Carvalho said...

Oh my....*big hug*...I so know what you're feeling...I have to say that you have a great hubby thou ;)!...BTW...Don't you guys have that sort of massage for babies to help them when they have respiratory issues?We do have it here.My kids pediatrician always prescribed it (respiratory gymnastics).
Hope she gets better asap.
Hang tough girl.
xoxoxo

Jackie said...

Awww... poor Emily. Hopefully next week things will lighten up and she'll be better. Just take it one day at a time. I'm so sorry she's not feeling well. :(

That girl said...

My daughter had RSV at 6 weeks old. I know the fear, and anxiety that goes with having a newborn in the hospital holding a mask over their face.

I remember my daughter crying and trying to get away from me while I cried along with her and held her tighter.

The good news is that even though you are feeling bad about it now, this is not going to damage her in any way. She's going to get over it, and get stronger and better.

My daughter has always needed to use her inhalor/vaporizer mask when she's been sick, and she's now 7 years old. She used it just last week, when she had a cold. She puts the medicine in herself, she holds the mask up to her own face and it's just part of her life.

I understand how you're feeling now, but chin up, it is going to get better. In fact, she's only crying now because you are holding her down and she doesn't understand it and she's not used to it. IF this lasts for her - and she may grow out of it, you never know - she's going to get used to it, and it'll just be part of life. It's not going to be that big of a deal, I promise.

Hugs,

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish there was something I could do... this breaks my heart...

I'm sending hugs and healing thoughts.

You ARE doing the right thing...Have faith....

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you because we have been there!!
My son and eldest daughter both have asthma.My girl has has pneumonia,bronchiolitis,bronchitis times 2 all with RSV at different times when she was younger.
My son had his first breathing treatment when he was 3 months old and relies on a rescue inhaler now.They say if they scream through the treatment then they get more medicine.He has flare ups during spring and fall every year.

Sending prayers your way,I know how tough that can be!!!

Sandee said...

I was hoping Emily would be feeling better by now. I've got my fingers crossed that this will pass and not become an asthma issue. I'm also glad you finally got some sleep.

Big hug honey. I hope things will get better quickly and that you can start getting some proper sleep every night. :)

Mom Knows Everything said...

Hugs!!! My thoughts and prayers are with your and your family. Don't worry, everything will be okay.

Mo and The Purries said...

So glad you got reacquainted with the back of your eye balls, honey!
HUGS and prayers to you and Emily.

Travis Cody said...

Big hug darlin!

You hang in there now.

Kristin said...

Now that she is on the breathing treatments, sleeping will get a lot easier for her. When my oldest had RSV he would sleep for about an hour or 2 right after a treatment, we did those every 3hrs for the first week. It's going to get better eventually, trust me :).

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Oh, sweetie - I'm sending you big hugs and continuing to pray for you and Little Emily! Thank goodness you were able to get some sleep. Know that I'm thinking about you all the way down here in Texas!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time right now. I hope that the sleep fairy visits you both tonight and that she surprises the doctor and gets better so much quicker. ((hugs)) and God Bless your MIL for coming to your aid.

Deb said...

Oh I'm so glad that you've been able to get some good sleep - thank goodness for mothers-in-law! I hope that poor Emily is feeling better soon.

Sarah said...

Sorry she is still sick. When we use the breathing machine we do not use the mask. We hold it up to his nose, he gets the same effect without having it stuck to his face crying. I use to do it while he was in the bouncy seat. He is so use to it now that it doesn't bother him at all.
My oldest had the RSV and the doctors told us the same about the asthma but he is 6 and had not had any problems with it.

Desert Songbird said...

As a mother, it's difficult NOT to feel responsible for everything our kids go through, but your MIL is an angel to let you get some sleep. That will help you start thinking a bit more clearly and give you strength when dealing with Emily's illness. You'll tough it out, Tisha, you'll see. You're a great mom!

katherine. said...

your mil is heaven sent!

(I have emily on my list)